EPC Exemptions Register

Filed in Landlords by on 1st April, 2016 2 Comments

Energy efficiency rating certification system. Part of a series.

Update (6 Nov 2017) to the original post:

Where a landlord believes that an F or G EPC rated property they let qualifies for an exemption from the minimum energy efficiency standard, an exemption must be registered on the National PRS Exemptions Register.

Landlords who wish to register an exemption for a domestic or non-domestic property should e-mail the BEIS minimum standards team at PRSregisteraccess@beis.gov.uk

You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) if you can demonstrate that the building is any of these (but you should still register for an exemption):

  • listed or officially protected and the minimum energy performance requirements would unacceptably alter it
  • a temporary building only going to be used for 2 years or less
  • used as a place of worship or for other religious activities
  • an industrial site, workshop or non-residential agricultural building that doesn’t use much energy
  • a detached building with a total floor space under 50 square metres
  • due to be demolished by the seller or landlord and they have all the relevant planning and conservation consents

Vacant buildings and demolition

A building is also exempt if all of the following are true:

  • it’s due to be sold or rented out with vacant possession
  • it’s suitable for demolition and the site could be redeveloped
  • the buyer or tenant has applied for planning permission to demolish it

The October 2017 release of Guidance for Landlords and Local Authorities on the minimum level of energy efficiency required to let domestic property under “The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England & Wales) Regulation 2015 has now been released and can be accessed by clicking this link: 170927-27_09_17_Domestic_Private_Rented_Landlord_Guidance_-_Final_Version.

Landlords should be aware that from 1st April 2016, new regulations allow private tenants to request their landlord’s consent to carry out certain energy efficiency improvements, such as installing insulation and improved heating controls.

The new rules, introduced under the are part of a series of measures aimed at improving energy efficiency in the private rental sector.

A tenant can request energy efficiency improvements by writing to the landlord, explaining the proposed measures and how they will be funded. Whether directly by the tenant or through an energy efficiency scheme. The landlord is not required to pay.

The landlord cannot unreasonably refuse consent and must provide a response in writing within one month. The regulations provide scope to issue counter-proposals and also specify situations where permission can be refused, such as if the proposed improvements would reduce the market value of the property by more than 5%.

The tenant can appeal to the First-tier Tribunal if they are not satisfied with the landlord’s response.

In a series of further planned reforms, a new minimum energy efficiency standard for private rented homes will be set at an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rating of ‘E’:

  1. From 1st April 2018 landlords will be unable to issue a new tenancy for a rented property with an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’, subject to certain exemptions.
  2. From 1st April 2020 the restriction on renting out properties with an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’ will apply to all existing tenancies in a domestic private rented property, subject to certain exemptions.
  3. From 1st April 2023 the restriction on renting out properties with an EPC rating of ‘F’ or ‘G’ will apply to all existing tenancies in a non-domestic private rented property, subject to certain exemptions.

Further advice can be sought from Lynn Edwards of “L Energy Assessors


About the Author ()

Rob Crawford is the chairman of the Association of Local Landlords (Wessex). Rob is a practicing landlord with a property portfolio that includes small private residential properties and HMO's. Rob is a qualified letting agent and former owner of Kingfisher Lettings & Management. He is now a share holder of the successful online lettings company Lettingsupermarket.com.

Comments (2)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

  1. Cindy Groves-Veen says:

    This is the website from CLICK HERE near the top of this page. My Firefox cannot locate the website. Probably something wrong with the date figures at the beginning 170927 etc.
    Please advise.

  2. Rob Crawford says:

    Hi Cindy, please try again. Please give it a couple of minutes to load. It’s a PDF file.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.